Virginia Celebrates Veterans Day with Free Admissions, Military Discounts
Military sites, iconic destinations, parks and lodging partners offer free and reduced rates for veterans and active duty military on Veterans Day
Richmond, VA (PRWEB) November 4, 2010
Virginia’s rich military history and iconic sites make the state a moving destination to honor the men and women of America’s armed services this Veterans Day. Many sites are offering free admission to veterans and members of the military, along with special military discounts at several Virginia lodging facilities, to help visitors celebrate Veterans Day with loved ones.
Mount Vernonsalutes veterans with free admission for active duty, former and retired military personnel on Veterans Day complete with a community concert by an all-veteran barbershop chorus singing traditional tunes and a military medley.
Visit the town suffering the highest per capita D-Day losses in the nation at the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, with free admission on Veterans Day from 10 a. m. to noon.
Colonial Williamsburg offers free admission passes on Veterans Day to active duty military, guard and reservists, retirees, veterans and their dependents with the Honoring Service to America pass, which includes admission to Colonial Williamsburg’s Historic Area and museums, an orientation walk, a viewing of “Williamsburg, The Story of a Patriot,” free shuttle bus service and parking at the visitor center, from November 11 - 14, 2010.
In honor of the members and families of America’s armed services, both current and past, Virginia State Parks will waive parking fees for all Virginians on Veterans Day at all 35 state parks.
National Parks and National Park Service sites are also free to all visitors on Veterans Day in Virginia including:
- Appomattox Court House National Historical Park
- Assateague Island National Seashore
- Colonial National Historical Park
- George Washington Birthplace National Monument
- George Washington Memorial Parkway’s Great Falls Park
- Manassas National Battlefield Park
- Petersburg National Battlefield
- Prince William Forest Park
- Shenandoah National Park
As a special thank you to military members and their families, hotels, B&Bs and inns across Virginia offer special rates, reductions and promotions for Veterans Day and throughout the year. These are just a few destinations with special military offers, with a complete listing found at Virginia. org/veteransday.
- In Bedford, just minutes from the D-Day Memorial, The Forget-Me-Not B&B Military Discountoffers a special 15 percent discounted rate to honor military service through December 31, 2010.
- The Grey Swan Inn in Blackstone, Virginia is offering a 10 percent discount on all rooms with a home cooked breakfast to military personnel through December 30, 2010. For those on travel status, additional savings are offered.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Virginia Beach is offering a special military thanks discount. Active duty personnel on leave or federal employees are invited to use their government ID when booking a reservation to be eligible for their per diem rate. A hot complimentary breakfast is included. Through December 30, 2010.
- Located in Williamsburg, Virginia, the Lexington George Washington Inn & Conference Center, winner of numerous military awards for superior customer service, is offering a military appreciation special. Military personnel and their families receive greatly reduced room rates by presenting a valid active, reserve or retired ID from any US military branch upon check-in. Through December 31, 2010.
- Receive a 10 percent discount on a timber frame cabin located on 15 acres bordering the Shenandoah National Park with the military discount at Shadow Mountain Escape. Visit Luray Caverns and local wineries and enjoy the great outdoors. To qualify, mention this offer and select between the Butterfly loft (couple's choice), Bumble Bee or Dragon Fly cabins. Through December 31, 2012.
- Military couples and families may enjoy the lovely executive amenities of Meadow Villas at Warm Springs for a deep discount with the honor our troops mountain getaway special. Located in Warm Springs in the Allegheny mountains and George Washington National Forest, near the famous Jefferson spa pools, this package offers outdoor fun, decks, mountain views and nearby rivers and lakes for great boating and fishing. Call Jan at 717-951-3955 for booking and military discount. Through December 31, 2010.
Virginia is home to some of the country’s best military memorials and museums. Find more information on iconic sites such as Arlington National Cemetery, the Iwo Jima memorial, the Air Force Memorial, the National D-Day Memorial, the U. S. Marine Corps museum, the Virginia War Memorial and more at http://www. Virginia. org.
Love is at the heart of every Virginia vacation. Visit http://www. Virginia. org/veteransday for more information on Veterans Day events, memorials and discounts throughout Virginia, or call toll-free 1-800-VISITVA to request a free, Virginia is for Lovers Travel Guide.
Note to media: Images for this story are available at VaTravelStories. com, the official pressroom of the Virginia Tourism Corporation.